I get asked lots of Instagram questions but some I get over and over. Here are 8 burning Instagram questions answered for you!
Question: How often should you post on Instagram?
Answer: Quality content is better than just content to get it out there. So if you have enough quality content to post 1-3 times a day then go for it. If not, do the most you can but try to keep it consistent. For example, don’t post 2x day for a week and then nothing the next week. You’d be better off spreading it 1x a day for 2 weeks. Make sense? Consistency is the most important thing!
Question: Why is my Instagram engagement so low?
Answer: The engagement you get on your Instagram posts can vary for a lot of reasons but there is one thing you can do that will almost always improve it: Spend time engaging on Instagram when you post. I did an entire blog on the best ways to do this. Check it out here.
Question: Hashtags don’t work for me. What am I doing wrong?
Answer: Hashtags can be complicated and if you don’t use the right ones, they won’t do much to help your content get seen. So what can you do? These 3 tips can help you find hashtags that work for your content:
- Use a mix of small, medium and large hashtags. If you’re a smaller account, then 50% should be smaller hashtags (10k-50k uses) so you don’t get lost in the big ones. As you grow you can put more medium (50k-200k uses) and large hashtags (200k-500k uses) in the mix. I don’t typically recommend any account use a hashtag over 500k uses.
- Use location based hashtags. This is super important if you are a local business because a local follower is more valuable. Even if you are a national or global brand though local hashtags can help grow your following. I typically find engagement on local hashtags to be higher. A local hashtag would be something like #bostonrealestate, #bostonmakeupartist, or #bostonbusiness.
- Use hashtags that make sense with your brand, your content’s photo, and your content’s text. Don’t use the same hashtags every time! The more you can relate your content to the hashtags you use, the better it will do. Not sure if a hashtag is right for your content? Check it out and see what it’s top posts are. Are the photos similar to yours? Are they talking about the same things? That will clue you in if it’s a good hashtag for your content.
Question: Where do you get your stock photos? What filters do you use on your own photos?
Answer: I use Canva to create all my social media graphics. I use the paid $10/month version but the free version is enough for many small businesses. I”ve used photoshop in past jobs and it’s great but it’s more complicated and more expensive and I don’t think you really need it to do social media graphics. I love editing and using filters on my own photos and stock photos on Canva. It’s so easy! For free stock photos outside of Canva, here are a few I love:
Question: Why aren’t my likes turning into: “I will take 3 orders of this item please?”
Answer: Knowing your audience likes your product/service is a great place to start a relationship! Remember social media means being social. On Instagram, you can follow those people and comment/like back on their posts. Most people don’t buy anything online the first time they see it but building that authentic relationship and showing your product/service multiple times will usually lead to some sales over time. Here are 6 ways to build relationships with your ideal client on Instagram.
Question: What is the best Instagram planner?
Answer: There are a lot of good ones out there. I personally love Planoly. It is so easy to lay out our grid and schedule! You can even plan out your stories which I love. One thing to keep in mind though is engagement. Don’t just set it and forget it! Even if you schedule out your social media for the week, you still need to go in daily and engage on others’ content and reply to comments on your own posts. Being social on Instagram pays off with the algorithm!
Question: Do I need to use Instagram Highlights?
Answer: Short answer: no. But….it’s a free space to promote your stuff so why not? Here are just a few ways you can use them:⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
- Create a highlight for your freebies. Include how they can get your most valuable downloads for free.⠀
- Use a highlight for your “best of”. Include only the very best products/services from you.
- Create a tips or hacks highlight. Show your potential customers you know your industry by providing them with valuable tips.
- Testimonials. Others raving about you is always better than you. Create a highlight with what your clients say about you.⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
These are just a few things you can use your Instagram highlights for. Get creative!
Question: What do I post on Instagram Stories? I have no idea!
Answer: You can get as creative or be as simple as you want in Stories. It really doesn’t matter, just do them! They can provide some amazing reach to your Instagram account. Some quick ideas are to share your most recent post or someone else’s post that you loved. Tell a story about your day or do a behind the scenes at your office. If you’re still stuck on what to post in stories, here are 9 Instagram Story ideas anyone can implement.
If you need more social media and marketing tips – here are a few ways I can help for free:
✅ Grab my free Instagram Guide – 7 Expert Secrets To Explode Your Instagram …. It’s FIRE: bit.ly/7_IGsecrets
✅ Want to know what your Instagram engagement rate is? Find out instantly with my free spreadsheet: http://bit.ly/IGengageWorksheet
✅ Get my free Lead Magnet Workbook and create one in 7 easy steps! http://bit.ly/BuildYourLeadMagnet
✅ Need help with content ideas? Grab my free 2020 Social Media Holiday Calendar with Hashtags. http://bit.ly/2020SMcalendar